Our baked alaska has a crispy and chewy meringue base. It's so much fun tho "fancy it up" by piping gorgeous meringue rosettes!
4 egg whites
pinch of salt
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 gallon strawberry ice cream
- Preheat oven to 420F.
- To make the meringue, beat egg whites and salt until frothy. Add the sugar a little at a time until the meringue is thick and shiny.
- Add cornstarch and lemon juice and mix well.
- Measure your serving platter, and make a template on parchment paper. Place the template on a baking sheet.
- Place half the meringue in a piping bag, and create a base by filling in the template. Pipe small dollops all around the edge.
- Put the meringue in the oven, and turn down the heat to 250oF.
- Bake for 90 minutes. Remove and allow to cool
- While the meringue is baking, scoop the ice cream into a mold that fits inside the meringue base you just made. Press the ice cream into the mold. Freeze until time to use.
- When the meringue is completely cool, dip the frozen mold into hot water and turn out the ice cream onto the meringue base. Remove gently.
- Place the rest of the meringue in a piping bag, and pipe dollops all around the base and up the sides.
- With a butane torch, toast the dollops.
- Serve and wow your guests!
Made it? Tell us about it–