The secret to this sandwich is to make a cheese sauce first, not just putting sliced cheese between bread.
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 1⁄2 cups milk
1 cup American cheese, grated
1 cup aged cheddar, grated
4 tablespoons Parmesan, grated
1 cup Gruyère, grated
2 tablespoons pesto
1 tablespoon butter
2 oz button mushrooms, cleaned
8 thick slices crusty white bread
melted butter, for brushing
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a saucepan.
- Add flour and stir well.
- Add milk, little by little, while stirring the mixture together.
- Add all the cheese and stir until melted.
- Add pesto and stir well.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a pan and sauté the mushrooms until golden.
- Take a piece of bread, add a good amount of sauce, and place another piece of bread on top.
- Brush each side with melted butter.
- Fry in a pan until golden on each side.
- Serve with the mushrooms.
Made it? Tell us about it–