This is an easy way to make a fruit pie without the fuss of pie pans and top crusts.
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
5½ ounces unsalted butter, cold and diced
about 3 tablespoons water, cold
1⁄3 cup ground almond meal
1½ pounds fresh stone fruit of your choice (peaches, plums, apricots), halved and pits removed
3 teaspoons vanilla bean paste
2 tablespoons raw sugar
- To make pastry:
- Place the flour and sugar in a medium mixing bowl. Using your fingertips, rub butter into the flour mixture until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Add cold water. Use a table knife and, in a cutting motion, mix butter and flour mixture until a soft dough forms, adding a little more water if needed.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead the dough until smooth. Do not over knead.
- Shape into a flat disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate 30 minutes.
- To make tart:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Roll the dough between 2 sheets of parchment paper into a rough rectangle shape, about ¼-inch thick. Use the bottom sheet of parchment to help transfer pastry to a large baking tray.
- Sprinkle the pastry with almond meal, leaving a ½-inch border around the edge.
- Arrange the fruit, cut side up over the almond meal. Brush fruit with vanilla bean paste, and fold the pastry border over the fruit.
- Sprinkle the fruit and pastry border with raw sugar.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 minutes or until pastry is golden and crisp.
Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream.
Made it? Tell us about it–