Resist the temptation to rinse charred peppers under water, as you will wash away all the delicious flavor.
You will need:
3 peppers such as jalapeno, chipotle and poblano
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or more to taste
1 lb tomatillos
freshly ground black pepper
1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 cup cilantro leaves, stems discarded
- Char peppers in open flame of gas burner, using tongs to maneuver peppers, until blackened on the outside and completely soft.
- Place peppers in a shallow bowl, cover with a plate, and let sweat until peppers have cooled.
- Peel peppers and discard skin and seeds.
- Coarsely chop roasted pepper flesh.
- Place in a small bowl and add garlic, vinegar, and lime juice. Let stand.
- Remove papery skin from tomatillos and wash away sticky coating.
- Slice tomatillos into thin wedges and place in serving bowl.
- Season tomatillos with salt and pepper.
- Whisk olive oil into bowl with peppers and pour whole lot over tomatillos.
- Add cilantro leaves and toss to combine.
- Adjust seasoning with more lime juice, salt, and pepper before serving.
Made it? Tell us about it–