Traditional gingerbread men get a new look once you draw them specs with royal icing and give them tasty nuts to hold.
Makes about 24
You will need:
pecan or walnuts
For the royal icing:
2 large egg whites, or more to thin icing
4 cups sifted confectioners’ sugar, or more to thicken icing
1 lemon, just the juice
- Preheat oven to 370°F.
- On a floured table, roll out the dough to a thin sheet.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut out shapes.
- Place a nut for the gingerbread man to hold.
- Bake for 5–8 minutes.
- Let cool.
- Make the icing: Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Add sugar and lemon juice. Beat for 1 minute more.
- If icing is too thick, add more egg whites. If it is too thin, add more sugar.
- Decorate cooled cookies with royal icing.
Made it? Tell us about it–