Makes several houses and a bunch of cookies
1 1/2 cups dark molasses
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup cold water
1/3 cup shortening
7 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground allspice
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Start with designing your house.
- Draw it on card stock, cut it out and cut out the windows.
- Mix together the molasses, brown sugar, water and shortening.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, allspice, ginger, cloves and cinnamon.
- Add to sugar mixture and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Roll dough 1/4 inch thick on floured board.
- Use your template and cut out the house.
- Transfer to a cookie sheet and cut out the windows on the sheet.
- It's just easier to do it that way.
- Bake at 350F, 180C for 10-12 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Mix together powdered sugar and water to a thick frosting.
- Use a little as glue and glue the gelatin to the back of the windows.
- Decorate your house and sprinkle some decor sugar on the roof so it looks like it's been snowing.
- Use some frosting to glue your house to a platter and sprinkle with sugar.
- Light a candle behind it and think of your loved ones. I will.
Made it? Tell us about it–