For the cookies:
1 1/2 cups dark molasses
1 cup packed brown sugar
2/3 cup cold water
1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
7 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground allspice
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cloves
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the icing:
3 egg whites
1 16 ounce box of confectioner's sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
salted almonds for decoration
- For the cookies, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease one cookie sheet.
- Mix together the molasses, brown sugar, water and melted butter.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, allspice, ginger, cloves and cinnamon.
- Add to sugar mixture and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Roll dough 1/4 inch thick on floured board.
- Cut out any basic shaped cookie, I like squares or diamonds, fluted edges are nice.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
- For the icing, combine all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat with an electric mixer for 5-8 minutes. The icing will be very stiff.
- Use the icing quickly as it will form a shell as it dries.
- To assemble the cookies, spread a bit of the icing on one cookie and sandwich it with another cookie on tom
- put a small dollop of icing on the top and place a salted almond on it.
- Allow the icing to harden completely and serve.
Made it? Tell us about it–