A sweet spice cake that is kept extra moist with the unexpected addition canned tomatoes! The flavor is sweet and complex with a bite of acid from the tomatoes. So wonderful for a Summer party or picnic, or just to snack on at home.
For the cake:
2 cups of puréed Muir Glen Organic Whole Peeled Tomatoes (use a 28 ounce can)
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup molasses
1 cup vegetable oil
4 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons nutmeg
3 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoon ginger
For the glaze:
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
3 to 4 tablespoons milk or water
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line a 9x9 pan with parchment paper and grease it with vegetable oil.
- Place the tomatoes in a blender or food processor and purée until smooth. Measure out 2 cups. (use the rest for tomato sauce!)
- Beat eggs, sugar and molasses until smooth.
- Add oil, mix and then add flour, baking soda, salt and spices. Mix well.
- Add tomatoes and mix it all together until smooth.
- Pour into pan and bake for 65-75 minutes or until firm to the touch.
- Let it cool completely on a wire rack.
- For the glaze, place the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and slowly stir in the milk and vanilla, a little at a time, to make a smooth, pourable glaze.
Made it? Tell us about it–