Tender biscuits brimming with flavor and decadent gouda cheese!
20 oz all-purpose flour
1½ teaspoons cream of tartar
2 teaspoons baking soda
1½ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper, ground
1 teaspoon basil, dried (if using
fresh, use about 2 tablespoons)
8 oz butter, unsalted
1½ cups milk
¾ cups gouda cheese, cubed
2 tomatoes, cubed
3 spring onions, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Whisk together flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, salt, pepper, and basil in bowl.
- Using your hands, rub in the butter leaving pea-sized chunks.
- Add tomatoes, spring onion, jalapeno, and cheese.
- Add milk and mix with hands until it comes together. You don’t want to overmix the dough—you want flaky biscuits and this happens when your dough is not overworked.
- Put the dough on a counter and roll out with a little flour and a rolling pin.
- Fold over onto itself and roll lightly together.
- Use a round cutter, cup, or knife to cut squares and transfer to a lined sheet pan.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until done.
Made it? Tell us about it–