This bread is best served with homemade Campari Jam!
Food by Saskia van Deelen + Photography by Julia Cawley
Get tons of inspiration in Sweet Paul Magazine:
MAKES ONE LOAF OF BREAD
3/4 cup whole milk
2 ounces butter, softened
17 ounces all-purpose flour
2 ounces sugar
a pinch of salt
1 packet dry yeast
2 ounces ricotta cheese
1 egg yolk
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons sugar
- In a saucepan, warm the milk, along with the butter, until lukewarm.
- Mix flour with sugar, salt, and dry yeast. Add the warm milk, eggs, and ricotta, and knead into a smooth dough.
- Form dough into a ball, and place in a bowl, covered with a kitchen towel, in a warm place for 90 minutes.
- Once the dough has risen, take the dough ball out of the bowl, knead it again, and divide into 3 equal portions.
- Roll each section about 16 inches long and braid together into a long loaf.
- Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, cover with a cloth, and leave to rest for another 30 minutes in a warm place.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400oF.
- Mix the egg yolk with water and brush it onto the bread. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake on the center rack for 20 to 25 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack and serve warm with Orange Campari Cranberry Jam.
Made it? Tell us about it–