These bite-size donuts are divine. Serve with a shot of strong espresso.
Makes approx 30
You will need:
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
pinch of sea salt
1⁄2 cup+1 cup hibiscus sugar
3⁄4 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons melted butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 cups vegetable oil
- In a food processor, pulse together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder, salt, and 1⁄2 cup of hibiscus sugar until just combined.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, egg, butter, and vanilla in a bowl.
- With the motor running, add the buttermilk mix to the dry ingredients until a dough ball forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface and roll out to 1” thickness.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut the dough into rounds.
- Knead the scraps together, roll out, and continue to cut into rounds until all the dough is used.
- Pour the vegetable oil into a deep pan and heat over a medium heat until it registers 350°F on a deep fry thermometer.
- Place a wire rack over a baking sheet.
- Working in batches, gently add the dough balls to the hot oil.
- Turn after 2 minutes with a pair of tongs and continue to cook for another 2 minutes until golden brown. If they are getting too brown too quickly turn the heat down.
- Place the cooked donuts on the wire rack to drain the excess oil.
- Pour the remaining 1 cup hibiscus sugar on a plate.
- Roll the warm donuts in the sugar to coat.
Made it? Tell us about it–