Today I'm bringing all my readers back to my childhood in Oslo Norway. Every summer when the apples stared to ripe my grandmother made this dessert. In norwegian it's called "Tilslorte bondepiker", in english that would be " farmers daughters dressed in veils". I know, don't ask me why! All it is is wonderful homemade apple compote, toasted spiced breadcrumbs and sweet whipped cream. For me, this is the dessert of all desserts. Enjoy!
2 pounds Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored and cut into
juice of 1/2 lemon
1/4 cup golden raisins
1 tablespoon rum
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 cups fresh breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Place apples in a large skillet.
- Add lemon juice, raisins, rum and sugar.
- Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until soft. About 10 minutes.
- Heat the butter in a skillet and add breadcrumbs, sugar and cinnamon.
- Cook, stirring, until golden brown.
- Set aside and cool.
- Spoon apple compote, breadcrumbs and cream in layers in 4 glasses.
- Serve cold.
Made it? Tell us about it–