There is nothing quite like homemade chicken stock. Roasting the bones makes the flavors so deep!
Yields about 3 1⁄2 quarts
4 lbs chicken bones
2 Spanish onions, peeled and quartered
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
1⁄2 stalk celery, cleaned and cut into 2-inch pieces
6 bay leaves
1 teaspoon black peppercorns
8 sprigs thyme
1 teaspoon rosemary
pinch of oregano
4 quarts + 1 cup water
salt, to taste
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Salt bones generously and spread out onto a rimmed baking sheet. Roast for 30–35 minutes until golden. If you are using stored, previously roasted chicken carcasses, you may skip this step.
- meanwhile add onions, carrots, celery, bay leaves, peppercorns, and herbs to a large stock pot.
- Remove bones from baking sheet and add to pot. Pour 1 cup hot water onto baking sheet while still warm, scrub off all burnt and caramelized bits with a wooden spoon, and add to stock pot.
- add 4 quarts of water to the pot, a hefty pinch of salt, cover, and bring to a simmer. 6. Simmer for 6–8 hours.
- Simmer for 6–8 hours.
- Strain with a fine mesh sieve or cheese cloth, pick off chicken meat bits, and reserve for your chef’s chicken Noodle Soup. Discard other solids.
- Salt to taste now if you like, or wait to customize as you use. Store in the freezer to use in soups, risottos, braises, paellas and more!
Made it? Tell us about it–