A Winter treat from Finland! The Finns eat a lot of beetroot in the Winter. The most common way is to chop it up in salad, but the modern way is to blend it to a pesto and have it with flatbread.
Makes 12 flatbreads, 2 cups pesto
17 oz beets, cooked or roasted
4 cloves garlic
3½ oz parmesan cheese, grated
3½ oz cashew nuts or pine nuts
½ cup basil leaves
½ cup olive oil
salt & black pepper, to taste
2¼ cups self-raising flour+more
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 tablespoon baking powder
17 oz natural yogurt
- Make the pesto first and have it on hand. Place all the ingredients in a food processor and blend till smooth.
- For the flatbread, combine flour, salt, baking powder, and yogurt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to combine.
- Cut the dough into 12 pieces and form flat circles with a rolling pin.
- Preheat a stovetop grill pan over medium high. Do not oil.
- Place bread on hot grill and cook without touching about 1–2 minutes.
- Turn and continue to cook 1–2 minutes more or until bread has puffed up.
- Serve immediately with beet pesto, blue cheese, and pine nuts.
Made it? Tell us about it–