There's NOTHING like homemade ricotta -- and it's SO easy!
Yields 4 cups
1 gallon whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
1⁄3 cup organic white distilled vinegar or fresh lemon juice
- 1. Pour the milk and cream into a large pan and place over medium heat.
- 2. Heat to 190°F on a candy thermometer, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and add vinegar or lemon juice and slowly stir a few times.
- Cover the pot with a dishcloth and set aside for 1 hour.
- Line a sieve with cheesecloth and place over a bowl large enough to catch the whey.
- Gently pour the ricotta curds into the cheesecloth and let drain for 30 minutes.
- For a denser cheese, drain the ricotta overnight in the fridge.
- Reserve the whey for other recipes in the fridge or freezer.
- Place the ricotta in a glass container with a tight-fitting lid and refrigerate for up to 6 days.
- Season with salt and pepper before eating.
Use the best milk you can find -- I love to get it fresh from a farmer -- you can really taste the difference!
Made it? Tell us about it–