I love one dish recipes, and this one is the QUEEN of them all! An ooey gooey cheesy dip with decadent Gruyere and bacon plus the rich zing of crème fraîche.
You will need:
4 strips of bacon
2 onions, thinly sliced
pinch of sugar
pinch of flakey sea salt
1 tablespoon sherry (optional)
dash of hot sauce (optional)
1 cup Gruyere cheese, shredded
1/2 cup Vermont Creamery Crème Fraîche
1/2 cup mayonnaise
fresh ground pepper to taste
fresh thyme for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F
- In a small cast iron skillet, cook bacon until it's crispy. Transfer it to the side to cool.
- In the same skillet, using the rendered bacon fat, cook your onions, sugar, and salt slowly over medium heat until the onions are nicely caramelized. This usually takes about 20 minutes depending on how thinly sliced the onions are.
- Remove from heat and splash in your sherry and tabasco if you're using them and give everything a good stir.
- Next, crumble your bacon into the skillet and add in your Gruyere, crème fraîche, and mayonnaise and some fresh ground black pepper and mix everything well.
- Bake the skillet of dip for 10 to 20 minutes until it's golden and bubbly and you can't wait a moment longer!
- Remove from oven and allow to cool and set for about 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh thyme, and serve with pita chips or nice crusty bread.
Made it? Tell us about it–