These are Iceland’s most traditional Christmas cookies. They come from a really old recipe.
Makes about 80
You will need:
2 cups all purpose flour
1½ cups butter, soft
1¾ cups powdered sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Place all the ingredients in a bowl and mix together to a smooth dough.
- Divide into 2 rolls, each about 2” thick.
- Cover in plastic and cool for 2 hours.
- Heat the oven to 375°F.
- Cut the rolls into thin slices and place on a baking tray covered with parchment paper.
- Bake until light brown. This will take about 6–7 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
These are crisp and buttery! Serve them with some jam on top.
Made it? Tell us about it–