I got together with my friend Katie Lee to bake this DELISH cake from her new book ENDLESS SUMMER!
From Katie Lee: "Every year when strawberries came into season, my grandma would make a strawberry shortcake, and I have followed her tradition. Then I got thinking… I love chocolate, I love strawberries, and I especially love chocolate and strawberries, so why not do a chocolate shortcake? And why not just use a brownie mix? This is so good and ridiculously simple to make and people go c-r-a-z-y for it."
2 boxes brownie mix
4 large eggs
2.⁄3 cup canola oil
1 cup sour cream
1 cup prepared whipped cream (I have been known to use Cool Whip on occasion)
1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Preheat the oven to the temperature indicated on the brownie mix box.
- Spray 2 8” round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray.
- Using an electric mixer, combine brownie mix, eggs, ¼ cup water, and the oil.
- Divide the batter between the prepared pans and bake according to the box instructions.
- Let cool on wire racks, then turn out of the pans.
- Put 1 brownie on a serving platter to form the bottom layer.
- Fold the sour cream into the whipped cream.
- Spread the brownie with about half of the whipped cream mixture and half of the berries.
- Place the second brownie layer on top.
- Add a scoop of the whipped cream mixture and a few berries.
- Slice and serve with extra berries and whipped cream mixture.
Made it? Tell us about it–