2 1/2 cups fresh basil
1/4 pine nuts, toasted
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
FOR THE PIE:
1 large leek, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons butter
2 large eggs
2 large egg whites
4 tablespoons cream
1 cup ricotta
3 tablespoons pesto
1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
2 tablespoons flat-leaf parsley, chopped
coarse salt and freshly grounded pepper
8 sheets phyllo dough, thawed
- For the pesto, place basil, pine nuts and garlic on cutting board. Use a mezzaluna or a large knife, finely chop the ingredients. Place in a bowl, add parmesan and oil. Mix to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Cover with plastic wrap. Can be refrigerated up to 2 days.
- Preheat oven to 375F and saute leeks in butter until soft.
- In a medium bowl, combine, eggs, egg whites, cream, ricotta, pesto, parmesan and parsley.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly coat a 9 inch pie pan with cooking spray.
- Unroll phyllo, remove one sheet, placing in prepared pan.
- Coat lightly with cooking spray.
- Repeat with 7 more sheets of phyllo, spraying between each layer.
- Trim edges with scissor.
- Spoon filling and leaks into the pan.
- Bake until golden brown and set, about 45-50 minutes.
- Cool before serving.
Made it? Tell us about it–