This cake has a fresh lemon taste, fragrance of thyme, and a little crunch from the poppy seeds. The candied thyme takes it all to a new and amazing place.
1 cup + 1/3 cup sugar
6 tablespoons butter, softened + extra for greasing the pan
1 lemon, just zest
1/2 lemon, just juice
2/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 egg whites
20 sprigs fresh thyme
1 egg white
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat 1 cup sugar and butter until light and creamy.
- Add in milk, mix well, and add poppy seeds, thyme, lemon, flour, and baking powder. Stir until you have a smooth batter.
- Beat the egg whites to soft peaks and gently stir them into the batter.
- Pour the batter into a well-greased bunt pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a wooden skewer comes out clean.
- Flip onto a cooling rack.
- Whisk the egg white in a bowl until frothy.
- Dip the thyme in the egg white and then in sugar. Let the thyme dry.
- Make a simple glaze by mixing confectioners’ sugar and some water.
- Place your cake on a serving tray, cover with glaze, and top with the candied thyme.
Made it? Tell us about it–