Simple, super-moist and delightful flavor!
Get tons of inspiration in Sweet Paul Magazine:
3/4 cup olive oil
grated zest from 1 large lemon
juice from 1/2 lemon
1 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
5 large eggs, separated
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup sugar
2 lemons, thinly sliced
1 cup water
1 cup sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease and flour a round tube-pan.
- Beat together yolks and 1/2 cup sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at high speed until thick and pale, about 3 minutes.
- Reduce speed to medium and add olive oil (3/4 cup) and lemon juice, beating until just combined (mixture may appear separated).
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture (do not beat) until just combined.
- Beat egg whites (from 4 eggs) with 1/2 teaspoon salt in another large bowl with cleaned beaters at medium-high speed until foamy, then the sugar a little at a time, beating, and continue to beat until egg whites just hold soft peaks, about 3 minutes.
- Gently fold one third of whites into yolk mixture to lighten, then fold in remaining whites gently but thoroughly.
- Pour batter into pan.
- Bake until puffed and golden and a wooden pick or skewer inserted in center of cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
- Cool cake in pan on a rack.
- Place pan on a plate and turn upside down and remove pan.
- To make the candied lemons, place lemons, water and sugar in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- Place candied lemon slices on top of cake and pour a good amount of the syrup over the whole cake.
- Serve and enjoy.
You can candy your lemon slices a day beforehand to save time.
Made it? Tell us about it–