These light and airy little sweets are a perfect companion for your afternoon tea. Tart deliciousness in the most beautiful shape.
3 egg whites
1/4 cup white sugar
1²⁄3 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 cup finely ground almonds
1 drop yellow food coloring
FOR THE LEMON TEA GANACHE
7 ounces heavy cream
7 ounces white chocolate
2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Beat egg whites until they are foamy. Beat in white sugar and continue beating until egg whites are glossy and fluffy.
- Sift confectioners’ sugar and ground almonds in a separate bowl, and fold the almond mixture into the egg whites. 3. Mix in the food coloring. Color should still be almost white with just a hint of yellow.
- Mix in the food coloring. Color should still be almost white with just a hint of yellow.
- Spoon the batter into a pastry bag (or a plastic bag with a small corner cut off), and pipe disks of batter, about 11/2 inches in diameter, onto prepared baking sheet. Leaving space between the discs.
- Let the piped cookies stand out at room temperature until they form a hard skin on top, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 285°F.
- Bake cookies for about 10 minutes. Let cookies cool completely before filling.
- For the ganache: put the heavy cream and white chocolate into a small pot, and melt on low heat while stirring. Add the lemon juice.
- Once you have a smooth ganache, pour it in a bowl, and let it cool down in the fridge for about an hour.
- Then fill a pastry bag with the ganache and place a hazelnut sized portion onto a macaron. Place another macaron upside down onto it and squeeze gently. Repeat until all macarons are filled.
Made it? Tell us about it–