Churros dusted with licorice! In Scandinavia, we love our licorice, so why not on a churro? It’s delicious. You can find licorice powder online or in specialty stores. Just remember, a little licorice goes a long way.
MAKES ABOUT 16
1 cup water
21/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil + more for frying
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 large egg
1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon licorice powder
- In a medium saucepan add water, sugar, oil, and salt. Bring to a boil and remove from heat.
- Stir in flour rapidly until mixture forms a ball. Transfer to a food processor; add egg and blend until smooth.
- Fill a deep fryer or a large saucepan with 1 inch of oil, and heat until a piece of the dough turns golden after 30 seconds oil, 375ºF to 400ºF.
- Place the dough in a plastic piping bag, and pipe 4- to 6-inch dough “sausages” onto a baking sheet.
- Gently place dough into the oil using a large slotted spoon. Fry until golden brown. Place on a sheet pan.
- In a bowl, mix together powdered sugar and licorice powder, and transfer to a sifter.
- Dust the sugar mixture over the warm churros. Serve warm.
Made it? Tell us about it–