I love to make doughnuts in fun shapes! These hearts are absolutely adorable and they're filled with amazing strawberry jam!
MAKES ABOUT 24
3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup superfine sugar
3 teaspoons dried yeast
pinch of table salt
1 cup milk, warmed
3 1/2 ounces butter, melted
3 large egg yolks
canola oil for deep frying
about 3/4 cup of your favorite strawberry jam (Click HERE for a homemade recipe!)
about 1 1/2 cups superfine sugar for rolling
- Combine flour, cinnamon, sugar, yeast, and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center. Add milk, butter, and egg yolks, and mix until dough starts to come together.
- Turn dough onto a well-floured counter and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes.
- Place dough in an oiled bowl. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and cover with a tea towel. Place bowl in a warm place for 11/2 hours or until dough has doubled in size.
- Punch down the dough. Turn onto a floured counter and knead for 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Roll out dough until 1/2-inch thick. Allow dough to rest 2 minutes before cutting into heart shapes. (We used a 21/2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter.) Place 3/4 inch apart on trays lined with parchment paper. Cover with clean tea towels, and set aside in a warm place for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil to 350ºF in a large heavy-based saucepan or deep fryer. Place sugar into a shallow dish. Spoon jam into a piping bag fitted with a small plain nozzle.
- Working in batches, deep-fry doughnuts, turning once, until golden and cooked through, about 1 minute. Remove with a slotted spoon, and roll in extra sugar. Repeat with remaining doughnuts.
- Use the end of a chopstick to pierce a hole in the top of each doughnut, and pipe jam into the center. Serve warm.
Made it? Tell us about it–