Curl up on a cold winter night with this sinfully good hot chocolate.
Makes 4 cups
For the meringue:
4 egg whites
1⁄3 cup water
1 cup sugar
For the hot chocolate:
31⁄3 cups milk, any type
1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 pinches ground cardamom
2 pinches ground ginger
41⁄2 oz dark chocolate (Lindt 70%)
For the topping:
8 digestive biscuits or graham crackers
- For the meringue, place the egg whites in a bowl.
- Heat the water and sugar until it reaches 230°F.
- Start whipping the egg whites.
- Pour the sugar into the egg white bowl very slowly when it has reached 250°F, whipping constantly.
- Whip the meringue forcefully until it has cooled down completely.
- Pour the meringue into a piping bag.
- Heat the milk along with the spices.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- Chop the chocolate and put it in a big bowl.
- Pour spiced milk into the bowl a little at a time and stir until the chocolate has melted.
- Pour the hot chocolate into cups and pipe the meringue on top, starting close to the edges of the cup and moving towards the center.
- Carefully sear the meringue using a gas cooking torch.
- Crumble some of the biscuits or crackers on top and serve the rest with the hot chocolate.
Made it? Tell us about it–