Matcha is all the rage these days, so let’s jump on that bandwagon. Bring on those cancer fighting antioxidants!
MAKES ABOUT 1 QUART
You will need:
1 cup whole milk
1 1⁄2 cups heavy cream
1 cup canned coconut milk
1⁄2 cup+2 tablespoons sugar
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons matchapowder
pinch of cardamom
3 egg yolks
- In a medium saucepan, heat the milk, cream, coconut milk, 1⁄2 cup sugar, and salt over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves completely. Be careful not to let it boil over.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl whisk the egg yolks with 2 tablespoons sugar until pale and well combined, about 1–2 minutes.
- Whisk in the matcha powder and cardamom.
- Temper the yolks by slowly whisking in about 1⁄4–1⁄2 cup of the hot cream mixture, and then add this back to the saucepan.
- Cook over low-medium heat, stirring constantly with a rubber spatula, until the custard has thickened and coats the back of a spoon, holding its shape when you drag your finger across it. This will take about 3 minutes.
- Strain into a medium metal or glass bowl to catch any overcooked bits, set over an ice bath, and let chill.
- Churn in your ice c ream maker.
- Serve with a dusting of matcha.
Store in glass or metal containers in the freezer for up to 2 weeks.
Made it? Tell us about it–