Fresh berries take this rustic cake to the next level.
For the meringue:
4 egg whites
1 cup sugar
For the cake:
11⁄2 sticks melted butter
4 egg yolks
3⁄4 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla sugar
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄4 cup heavy cream
For the filling:
11⁄4 cups heavy cream
1⁄2 cup raspberry jam or lemon curd
15 oz fresh berries (raspberries, blueberries, chopped fruit)
For the decoration:
- Preheat the oven to 360°F.
- To make the meringue, separate the yolks from the egg whites.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form stiff peaks.
- Add the sugar and whisk until smooth. Put the mixture aside.
- For the cake layer, melt the butter and let it cool while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Whisk the egg yolks and sugars.
- Mix the flour and baking powder together.
- Add the flour mixture into the egg yolk mixture, alternating with the melted butter and the cream.
- Pour the batter into 2 loose-bottomed cake tins (9”) that have been lined with baking parchment. Smooth the surface with a spoon.
- Gently spoon the meringue on top of the cake mixture.
- Bake on the bottom rack of the oven for approximately 25 minutes. Cool completely and remove from the cake tins.
- Whip the cream.
- Flavor the cream with vanilla sugar, if preferred.
- Put 1 of the cakes onto a serving plate. Top with berries, whipped cream, and jam or lemon curd.
- Place the other cake on top of the fist. Garnish the cake with the rest of the berries and some flowers, if preferred.
- Serve the rest of the whipped cream in a bowl with the cake.
You can add pistachios or shredded white chocolate for decoration and additional flavor!
Made it? Tell us about it–