A rich and eggy cake with lemon, almonds, and currants!
Get holiday inspiration here:
Makes about 16 pieces
2 1/2 sticks soft butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
grated zest from 1 lemon
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 cup dried currants
2 tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Beat butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Separate egg yolks from the whites.
- Beat the egg whites until soft peaks.
- Mix butter, lemon zest, flour and baking powder until smooth.
- Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Pour into a 9x13 well buttered baking dish/pan.
- Sprinkle with almonds, currants and sugar on top.
- Bake until golden and set, about 25 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack before cutting into squares.
This cake can be frozen, comes out tasting freshly baked!
Made it? Tell us about it–