I used to ask my Mormor to make these because I loved the TV series Upstairs Downstairs!
2 cups plain flour
5 tablespoons sugar
1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄3 cup cold, salted butter, in pieces
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1⁄2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, and baking powder.
- Add butter and work it into the flour with your fingers. The result should be a grainy mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix together egg, vanilla, and milk.
- Pour the egg mixture into the dough and mix together quickly. (I find using my hands works best, so you don’t overwork the dough.)
- Sprinkle some flour on a surface and roll the dough out to 1-inch thick.
- Use a cutter to cut out the scones.
- Place on a baking tray covered with parchment paper.
- Brush with milk and bake until golden, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cool and enjoy with lots of butter and jam!
Made it? Tell us about it–