These muffins use leftover coffee to give them deep and rich flavor! These muffins make me happy because they give me an excuse to make an extra pot of coffee on the weekends, knowing I can put the leftover coffee to good use.
You will need for the Crumb Topping:
1⁄2 cup whole wheat flour
1⁄4 cup brown sugar
1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
pinch of salt
3 tablespoons melted butter, room temperature
1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
You will need for the muffins:
11⁄2 cups whole wheat flour
11⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
1⁄4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon instant espresso powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1⁄4 teaspoon cardamom
1 egg yolk
1⁄2 cup brown sugar
5 tablespoons melted butter, room temperature
1 cup coffee
11⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- To make crumb topping, mix together all ingredients and chill until ready to use.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Line cupcake tin with 10 papers.
- Sift together whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, espresso powder, cinnamon, and cardamom. Set aside.
- Beat egg together with brown sugar and salt. Slowly whisk in butter and vanilla extract.
- Add coffee and dry ingredients, alternating in 3 additions, ending with dry. With the third addition, also add 1⁄3 the crumb topping to the batter.
- Divide into cupcake papers.
- Top with remaining crumb topping.
- Fill remaining 2 empty cupcake slots halfway with water. Filling the empty cupcake slots with water helps ensure even baking.
- Immediately place in oven and bake 18–20 minutes, until golden and baked through.
These are whole-grain and relatively nutritious, with 4 grams of protein, 3 grams of fiber, and under 250 calories a serving!
Made it? Tell us about it–