Who doesn't love French Onion Soup?!
You will need:
1 Stick Butter
4 Large Yellow Onions, Thinly Sliced Pinch White Sugar
1 C White Wine
8 C Broth (I like to use 4 C vegetable and 4 C beef, but any combination of vegetable, chicken or beef works)
4 Cloves Minced Garlic
Dash Worcestershire Sauce
Baguette, Thickly Sliced
1/3 lb Gruyere Cheese, Grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large heavy pot or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add onions and cover, cooking for about 15 minutes. Add pinch of sugar and continue to cook, uncovered, for about 10 minutes. Place pot into the oven with lid partially covering. Allow onions to cook in the oven for about an hour, stirring occasionally.
- The onions should be brown after one hour - if not, uncover and continue to cook until brown.
- Remove from oven and place back on stove top. Cooking at medium heat, add in white wine and continue to cook for another 5 minutes, allowing it to reduce. Add broths, Worcestershire Sauce and garlic. Reduce heat to low and let simmer 30-40 minutes.
- Butter bread slices on one side and broil under a low heat, until toasted and brown.
- When soup is ready, place in over-safe bowls or ramekins. Add the bread on top, and then cover with grated cheese. Place soup in oven at a low heat until cheese is melted, and finish under the broiler to brown top.
- Serve immediately.
Made it? Tell us about it–