Celebrate Celiac Awareness Month!
From Michaela: "May is National Celiac Awareness Month! This dish makes me happy because it combines my past and present. I learned the original version while in school at the French Culinary Institute. It was full of dairy and gluten, two foods that I now avoid for various health reasons. But the recipe is tremendous and I didn't want to give it up. So I adapted it to fit my new lifestyle. The new version is as sinfully rich as the old and a joy to share with my wife and friends who avoid gluten as well."
Gluten Free Chocolate Bread Pudding
400ml (13.5 ounce) can of coconut milk
1/2 vanilla bean split and scraped
100 g (½ cup) sugar
1/4 t salt
5 egg yolks
150 g (5.25 ounces) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 loaf of gluten free white bread, such as Canyon Bakehouse Mountain White, crusts removed, diced
- Preheat oven to 350º F.
- Grease four ring molds and place on a half sheet pan lined with greased parchment.
- Bring coconut milk, vanilla bean, sugar, and salt just to a boil.
- Pour this over the chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk the yolks and temper with some of the hot chocolate mixture. Add to the remaining chocolate mixture and stir.
- Fill each mold 3/4 full with bread cubes.
- Pour the custard over the bread, making sure they are submerged. Gently push cubes down with a spoon; custard will absorb in a couple minutes.
- Bake custards for about 20 minutes or until custard is set.
- Remove rings and serve warm, or cool and refrigerate to serve the puddings later. Reheat in a 350º F oven for about 10 minutes. Serve with fresh berries.
Made it? Tell us about it–