Buy this book to help support pediatric cancer research!
From Gretchen: “These lemon wheel cookies are fun, bright and perfect for summer! My son Liam loved any kind of cookie with a hint of lemon and his favorite thing to do was drive his little go-kart—which was actually rated for fourteen year olds but he was such a good driver that at the age of four we let him drive it.”
yield: about 6 dozen cookies (perfect for a bake sale to benefit pediatric cancer research!)
You Will Need:
2 sticks (½ pound) unsalted butter, at room temperature
3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg, at room temperature
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
3 cups all-purpose flour
Yellow and white nonpareil candy sprinkles
- Place the butter and cream cheese in a large mixer bowl and beat until smooth and creamy, about 3 minutes. Add the sugar and beat until fluffy. Add the egg, lemon juice, and lemon zest one at a time, beating after each addition. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. With the mixer on low, slowly add the flour and beat until well combined.
- Divide the dough into quarters. Shape each quarter into a 1¾-inch-diameter log and roll in sprinkles to coat. Cover each log and refrigerate for at least 4 hours and up to 3 days.
- Preheat the oven to 350˚F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- With the tip of a very sharp knife, cut each log into ¼-inch slices. Place on the prepared cookie sheets, 2 inches apart. Transfer to the oven and bake until the cookies just begin to brown on the edges, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating the cookie sheets on the oven racks halfway through the baking time. Cool on the cookie sheets for 3 minutes. Transfer to wire racks and cool completely. Repeat with the remaining dough on cool cookie sheets.
- Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days, or freeze for up to 3 months.
Made it? Tell us about it–