Delicate rose flavor makes this cake extra charming!
You will need:
for the cake
1 cup white sugar
½ cup butter
3 large egg whites
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
1 ¾ teaspoons baking powder
½ cup milk
for the frosting
¼ ounce dried roses, ground very fine
⅓ cup butter
¼ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 pound (3 ½ cups) confectioners sugar, sifted if it's organic or has visible lumps
3 to 4 tablespoons milk or light cream
- For the cake, grease and flour two 9" round layer pans and preheat oven to 350.
- Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add egg whites and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- In a bowl, sift together flour and baking powder.
- Mix in flour and milk in three portions, alternating but, ending with milk.
- Split batter between your two pans and bake until golden on top and a toothpick comes out clean. 23-25 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely, removing cakes from pans onto a cooling rack ten minutes after leaving the oven.
- For the frosting, cream the butter, salt and vanilla and milk in a stand mixer. Slowly add the confectioners sugar until frosting is the right consistency for your taste.
- Mix in the ground roses.
- Frost your cake and decorate the top with dried rose petals as in the photos.
Made it? Tell us about it–