These are next-level s'mores bars made with HOMEMADE marshmallows!
From Alexandra: "Every time I make these bars, people swoon. Literally. They are a hit at potlucks, campouts, birthday parties, and Tuesday afternoons. Nothing makes me happier than having people enjoy the food I've made and the recipes I've created. I hope these make you as big of a hit at your next party (or Tuesday night dinner) as they have made me!"
You will need:
12 ounces milk chocolate, roughly chopped
1 package graham crackers
1 recipe homemade marshmallow (below)
4 packets unflavored gelatin
3 cups sugar
1 ½ cups water
1 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For the bars, lightly grease the bottom and sides of a 9x13 pan with the butter. Cut a piece of parchment to line the bottom of the pan and to hang over two of the sides. Press parchment into the buttered bottom and set aside.
- In a small pan, bring two inches of water to a low boil. Place a glass bowl over the top of the pan and fill with the chocolate. Melt the chocolate, stirring often, over the hot water. If the water begins to boil too hard, turn down the heat and continue.
- Pour melted chocolate into the bottom of the prepared pan. Press the graham crackers into the chocolate so they completely cover the bottom of the pan. Cut crackers with a serrated knife if needed to make them fit. Set aside.
- Make marshmallows and pour into the pan. Using a buttered offset spatula, spread marshmallow to completely cover the graham crackers.
- Let sit at room temperature - undisturbed - for 24 hours. Cut into 2x2 squares and roll sides in powdered sugar. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days.
- For the marshmallows, in a stand mixer, combine gelatin and ¾ cup water. Let stand.
- In a medium sauce pan with a heavy bottom combine sugar, remaining water, corn syrup, and salt. Slowly bring to a boil over medium heat. Continue to cook until mixture reaches the soft ball stage on a candy thermometer (about 240 degrees).
- Turn on stand mixer and pour in sugar mixture in a slow steady stream. Leave mixer running on high speed for 15 minutes until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Blend vanilla into marshmallow mixture and pour marshmallow onto prepared pan and spread evenly.
Made it? Tell us about it–