The perfect spice of this cake is met with the sinful rum flavor of the whipped cream!
• 1-1/3 cups cake flour
• 1 cup all-purpose flour
• 1-1/4 tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp baking soda
• 1 tsp salt
• 1-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
• 1 tsp ground ginger
• 1/4 tsp ground cloves
• 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
• 1/4 tsp ground all-spice
• 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
• 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
• 1/2 cup granulated sugar
• 2 eggs
• 2 tsp vanilla extract
• 1-1/4 cups buttermilk
• 2 cups heavy cream, cold
• 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
• 1/2 tsp vanilla
• 2 tsp rum extract
- To prepare the cake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour a 10'' Bundt pan; set aside.
- Sift together both flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground spices in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Cream the butter and both sugars until light in color in the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment. Add the eggs, one at a time, followed by the vanilla extract. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Set the mixer speed to low and alternate adding the sifted dry ingredients and the buttermilk. Mix until the ingredients are well incorporated.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the whipped cream. In the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a whisk attachment, whip the cream, vanilla, and rum extract until frothy. Add the powdered sugar and whip until medium picks form.
- When the cake has completely cooled, dollop the rum whipped cream on top and serve.
To save time, make this cake the night before you serve it. It actually allows the spice-flavors to richen and intensify.
Made it? Tell us about it–