Jason Gnewikow shares his perfect egg sandwich recipe!
From Jason Gnewikow: "This dish makes me happy just because I love breakfast! But mostly it reminds me of my dad.He actually made the original perfect egg sandwich, which was a lot simpler than my egg sandwich but so good all the same... fried egg, butter, simple white bread. It was a go-to staple for a quick bite in a pinch. He would usually make these for me in the summer when he came home for lunch from work."
Instantly download my Spring issue for just $2.99!
1 slice of good sharp cheddar
1 good roll of your choice
handful of sage (ideally fresh but dried works too)
sriracha ketchup (just put a little sriracha in some ketchup)
- Heat up a non-stick skillet to medium heat.
- Put a sliver of butter in the pan and grill your bread a bit, inside, face down. Set aside when it’s golden brown.
- Coarsely chop your sage.
- More butter for the pan (don’t be shy, butter is the secret).
- Crack eggs next to each other in the skillet and cover.
- Once the eggs start to firm up, scatter half the sage in, flip the eggs, and turn off the heat.
- Place cheddar and the other half of the sage on top of 1 of the eggs and cover until the cheese is melted.
- Salt and pepper the egg.
- Spread sriracha ketchup on 1 side of your roll, and stack the eggs with the cheesy egg on top.
- Serve your guest and then make another for yourself.
Made it? Tell us about it–