So fresh and tasty!
From Gaby: “The Tostones with Chunky Avocado is one of my favorite dishes in the book! Tostones are simply slices of plantain that are fried for a few minutes on each side until they are golden brown and then smashed into a disc form and fried again. These instantly transport me to an exotic place like Belize or Guatemala -- it’s like a vacation without leaving home. Plus, the citrus avocado mixture on top is addictive. I love serving these at any summer soiree.”
Buy Gaby's book HERE.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 6 to 8
You will need:
2 ripe yellow to yellow-black plantains
1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
Coarse salt to taste
2 Hass avocados
1 ripe mango
Juice of 1 lemon
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1⁄4 cup finely diced red onion
- Peel each plantain. Cut each plantain into 6 to 8 pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat until shimmering. Add 6 pieces of plantain at a time and cook, turning every 30 seconds, until just golden brown. Remove the plantains from the oil with a pair of tongs and repeat this process for the remaining plantains.
- Using a tortilla press, carefully press down on each piece of semi-cooked plantain until you have a 2- to 3-inch flat disk. If you don’t have a tortilla press, simply press down on the semi-cooked plantain with a small flat bottomed plate until the plantain is a 2 – to 3- inch flat disk. Fry these disks in the oil for about 45 seconds on each side, until a deeper golden color. Transfer the disks to a paper towel to drain; sprinkle with salt. Repeat with remaining plantains.
- Cut each avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit from the avocado and discard. Remove the avocado from the skin, cut into 1⁄2-inch dice, and place in a bowl. Using a vegetable peeler, remove the skin of the mango. Using a sharp knife, slice the wide flat part of the fruit off the pit. Repeat this process for the other side of the mango. Transfer the 2 mango slices to a cutting board and cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces. Add the mango to the bowl with the avocado.
- Add the lemon juice and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Top each of the fried plantains with equal portions of the avocado mixture. Top each tostone with a sprinkle of the red onion, and serve immediately.
Made it? Tell us about it–