This soup SINGS of summer! The recipe is from Nancy Fuller's Cookbook, Farmhouse Rules!
SERVES 4 TO 6
6 cups cubed watermelon
grated zest and juice of 2 limes
4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 rings sliced pickled jalapeño (plus some brine from the jar)
freshly ground black pepper
1 cup diced peeled cucumber
2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- In a blender, combine the watermelon, lime zest, all but 2 teaspoons of the lime juice, 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, 3 of the pickled jalapeño rings, and a splash of the brine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Blend until very smooth. Taste and adjust the seasoning with a little more jalapeño brine, if needed, using up to 2 tablespoons total to balance the sweet and the spicy flavors.
- Transfer the soup to a bowl, cover, and refrigerate until completely chilled, about 3 hours.
- When you’re ready to serve, finely chop the remaining jalapeño ring and transfer to a medium bowl.
- Add the cucumber, basil, remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, and remaining 2 teaspoons lime juice. Season the relish with salt and pepper and another splash of jalapeño brine.
- To serve, stir the chilled soup if it has separated. Then ladle into bowls and serve with the cucumber relish dolloped in the middle.
Made it? Tell us about it–