We were lucky enough to have Doug and Bryan of Big Gay Ice Cream create a special flavor just for you, dear readers. It’s truly a winner!
MAKES ABOUT 2⁄3 QUART
You will need:
1 cup skim milk
3⁄4 cup heavy cream
1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
1⁄4 teaspoon hazelnut extract
generous pinch of high-quality sea salt
1 cup Nutella® chocolate-hazelnut spread
1 cup marshmallow Fluff
2 teaspoons water (more if needed)
- Warm the skim milk and cream in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring often to keep mixture from scorching. Do this for about 5 minutes, until it has begun to steam.
- Add the sugar and stir until dissolved, about 2 minutes. Add the vanilla and hazelnut extracts and salt and stir to thoroughly incorporate.
- Add the Nutella, whisking until the Nutella is thoroughly melted and integrated.
- Continue cooking, stirring continuously, for another 10 minutes; do not allow to boil.
- Transfer the pot to an ice water bath and stir until steaming stops.
- ransfer the mixture to an airtight container, cover, and refrigerate for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight.
- fter chilling the mixture will separate slightly; whisk vigorously to reincorporate and then freeze according to your ice cream machine's instructions.
- For the marshmallow sauce, simply add a little bit of water to the marshmallow fluff to thin it out. You need to stir the water into the fluff with a fork and in seconds it turns into a fantastic sauce. You can experiment a bit to get your desired thickness.
- To brûlée the sauce, top your ice cream with a good dollop of the marshmallow sauce and then use a small torch to lightly toast the sauce and get a nice crunchy toast on it. Be careful when using fire!
This ice cream freezes a bit soft, but it’s insanely delicious. When it is finished, enjoy on the spot or transfer to an airtight container and store it in your freezer for up to 4 days.
Made it? Tell us about it–