Someone just asked me a question?What is your favorite comfort food?The answer to that is really easy......RISOTTO!I just love a well made risotto. Nothing beats it.It's creamy with a little al dente bite to it.There are two schools of risotto.The creamy, a little porridge like texture and then there is the more undercooked style.I like the first style better.If it's make right, it still is al dente but so creamy.I almost never order risotto at a restaurant, I usually get very disappointed.Anyway...here is a recipe for a really good risotto.Enjoy!
Risotto takes time, but the result is so good. And remember, the risotto must never wait for the guests, the guests must always wait for the risotto.
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1/3 leek, just the white parts, thinly sliced
1 cup Arborio rice
2 tablespoons lemon juice
4 cups chicken stock, warm 2 tablespoons butter
1 cup parmesan, grated
- In a saucepan, heat oil and butter over medium heat.
- Saute onion and leaks until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add rice, cook, stirring until well coated.
- Add lemon juice, cook for 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup of warm broth.
- Cook, stirring frequently, until absorbed.
- Continue adding broth, 1 cup at a time.
- Cook the risotto for about 20-25 minutes.
- The rice should be tender.
- Add butter and 3/4 cup parmesan.
- Stir well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
Photography by Ellen Silverman
Made it? Tell us about it–