This recipe is from Donna Hay's book "The New Easy".
For the cake:
1 3⁄4 sticks unsalted butter, softened
1 1⁄4 cups superfine sugar
2 tablespoons finely grated orange rind
3 cups almond meal (ground almonds)
1 cup all purpose flour
natural yogurt, to serve
For the orange syrup:
11⁄2 cups orange juice
2⁄3 cup superfine sugar
1 vanilla bean, split and seeds scraped
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place the butter and sugar in a food processor and process until well combined.
- Add the orange rinds, almonds, eggs, and flour and process until combined.
- Pour the mixture into a lightly greased 9” round springform cake tin lined with non-stick baking paper.
- Bake for 1 hour or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
- While the cake is baking, make the orange syrup. Place the orange juice, sugar, vanilla bean, and seeds in a small saucepan over low heat and stir to dissolve the sugar.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes or until the mixture has thickened and is syrupy.
- Discard the vanilla bean and pour half the hot syrup over the hot cake.
- Stand in the tin for 10 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the tin and serve with the yogurt and remaining syrup.
Made it? Tell us about it–