The taste of classic oysters casino rolled up into a stuffing side dish!
This recipe is a My Happy Dish recipe contest winner from Michael Cunningham. Here's what Michael has to say about the dish:
“This dish makes me happy because it combines two of my favorite recipes along
with cherished holiday memories. My family has always had oyster stuffing for the holidays and I love oysters casino. Oyster stuffing + oysters casino = Happy Me, Happy Dish!”
You will need:
10 cups day-old French bread, cut into 3⁄4” cubes
6 strips bacon, cut crosswise into 1⁄4” strips
1 cup red bell pepper, diced
1 cup green bell pepper, diced 1⁄2 cup shallots, thinly sliced
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, finely chopped
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2⁄3 cup dry white wine
1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 pints fresh oysters, liquor reserved (about 1 cup)
Kosher salt & fresh ground black pepper, to taste
1⁄3 cup heavy cream
1⁄4 cup+1⁄4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, finely grated
1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
2 large eggs, beaten
2 cups chicken stock
2 tablespoons butter, diced
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Place the bread cubes in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Sauté bacon in heavy, large skillet over medium-low heat until crispy and golden-brown. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Transfer bacon to a plate lined with paper towel. Reserve bacon drippings in pan.
- Add peppers, shallots, and thyme to same skillet.
- Sauté until the shallots are tender and translucent. This will take about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add the wine, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, and reserved oyster liquor, salt, and pepper.
- Simmer until reduced by half.
- Add heavy cream and remove from heat. Let cool.
- Add the mixture to the bowl with the bread cubes.
- Add 1⁄4 cup Parmigiano-Reggiano, parsley, eggs, and oysters. Toss well but gently.
- Slowly add chicken stock until evenly and thoroughly moistened but not soupy.
- Spoon dressing into a buttered casserole dish.
- Dot top with butter and bake until crisp and golden. This will take about 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with bacon and remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Serve immediately.
Made it? Tell us about it–