From Padma Lakshmi’s book, The Encyclopedia of Spices & Herbs.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1⁄2 teaspoon finely diced onion
11⁄2 lbs young carrots, scraped and sliced 1” thick diagonally
1⁄3 cup loosely packed fresh tarragon
11⁄2 teaspoons maple syrup
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Heat a deep skillet on medium heat; add the oil and butter.
- When the butter is melted but not burned, add the onions.
- Lower the heat if the butter starts to burn, and stir for a couple of minutes.
- Add the carrots and continue to stir for 6–7 minutes, depending upon the width of the carrots.
- Add the tarragon leaves, ripping them apart as you add them to the skillet.
- Drizzle the maple syrup into the skillet, add salt to taste, and stir the carrots until they are uniformly glazed, cooking approximately 3–4 minutes more.
- Serve as a side dish.
Made it? Tell us about it–