I am in love with the color... and flavor... of this gnocchi!
2 lbs russet potatoes, unpeeled
1 lb beets, unpeeled
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1⁄2 cups flour, (plus a bit extra)
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
sage, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and lightly coat the potatoes and beets in olive oil.
- Roast potatoes and beets 25 to 35 minutes, or until piercing with a fork yields very little resistance.
- Once cooled, peel and discard the potato and beet skins.
- Using a traditional ricer (or, alternatively, a fine mesh sieve) grate the potatoes as finely as possible over a mixing bowl.
- Chop beets and process in a food processor or blender, then mound the beets on top of the potatoes.
- Using a mixer, mix potatoes and beets together until color is uniform (approximately 2 minutes).
- Add to the mixture 1 cup of flour, the egg, and the salt, and mix for around 1 minute.
- Add in the rest of the flour and mix. Continue adding flour until dough is smooth but not sticky.
- Sprinkle some flour onto a clean, dry surface and roll out the dough into long, skinny logs.
- Cut logs into ½-inch pieces and roll the pieces across a gnocchi board (or the tines of a fork).
- Pan fry in butter and sage. Serve hot.
Made it? Tell us about it–