This dish makes me happy because every mouthful is filled with a surprise! Crispy salmon skin, sweet and flaky salmon flesh and the tang of the caper sauce come together to create a delicious experience.
2 salmon fillets
glug of olive oil
salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
For the Sauce:
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
juice & zest from 1⁄2 lemon, separated
1 teaspoon capers, chopped
1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- Wash the salmon fillets and pat dry with paper towel.
- Turn the fish skin side up. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and black pepper (go light with the salt).
- Heat up a frying pan on high heat and drizzle with some olive oil. Place the fillets skin side down and reduce the heat to medium.
- Without touching the fish, let them pan-fry until the skin is crispy golden, about 3–5 minutes.
- Turn the fish over and pan-fry until cooked through, another 2–3 minutes. Transfer the fillets onto a plate and keep warm.
- Discard the oil in the frying pan and turn the heat down to low.
- Melt the butter and when the foam has subsided, add in the garlic and lemon zest and sauté until fragrant.
- Add in the lemon juice and capers and sauté for 1 minute. Stir in parsley and keep warm.
- Place the salmon fillet with mashed potatoes and sautéed vegetables. Spoon the sauce on top and serve immediately.
Made it? Tell us about it–