I love the deep richness of this molasses cake! It's balanced perfectly by the sweetness of the pears!
3 firm pears, peeled and sliced
1⁄2 stick butter
3⁄4 cup + 3⁄4 cup light brown sugar
1 stick butter, soft
1 large egg
21⁄2 cups plain flour
11⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup boiling water
1 cup dark molasses
- Melt the butter in a sautee pan and add the pears.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- Simmer the mixture for 2 minutes, then remove from heat. Try to arrange the pears neatly.
- Preheat the oven to 375°
- Beat butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add the egg and mix well.
- Add all the rest of the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Mix the water and molasses together and then mix into the batter.
- Pour over the pan.
- Smooth the top with a spoon.
- Bake until golden and firm to the touch, about 40 to 50 minutes.
- Let cool for a few minutes, then turn upside down on a platter and serve à la mode.
Made it? Tell us about it–