A rich and indulgent ice cream full of pistachio flavor and texture. If you want a smoother ice cream, blend the pistachio paste even finer.
You will need:
4.6 oz pistachios, unsalted
1 cup whole milk
0.6 cup heavy cream
4 egg yolks
1 tablespoon Amaretto liqueur
- The Day Before: Slightly roast the pistachios in a pan.
- Bring the milk and cream to boil.
- Remove from heat and immediately add the pistachios.
- Cool down and let the pistachios soak in the milk-cream mixture overnight in the fridge.
- The Next Day: Remove the pistachios from the milk-cream mixture into a food processor and pulse on high speed until it turns into a smooth paste.
- Bring the milk-cream mixture to boil.
- Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl with an electric hand mixer until thick and fluffy.
- As soon as the milk and cream are boiling, pour onto the eggs, stirring constantly with a whisk.
- Pour the custard mixture back into the casserole and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, until it thickens. It should be around 181°F.
- Cool the cream down in a water bath with ice cubes.
- Stir in the pistachio paste and turn the cream into ice cream in an ice cream machine.
Made it? Tell us about it–