This cake is ALMOST too pretty to eat!
This cake is baked with coarsely ground pistachios for a lightly crunchy texture, then frosted and filled with a nutty buttercream of powdered sugar, butter, and finely ground pistachios. Huge preference for freshly ground pistachios rather than canned pistachio paste.
Makes a 4-layer, 8-inch cake
8 oz unsalted butter, room temperature
13 oz granulated sugar
6½ oz all purpose flour
5½ oz cake flour
1½ teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1⁄3 cup coarsely ground pistachios
10 oz buttermilk
green gel color
16 oz unsalted butter, room temperature
12 oz powdered sugar, sifted
¼ cup finely ground pistachios
1 tablespoon heavy cream
1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Grease the bottoms and sides of 4 cake pans and line with round parchment paper. Grease the parchment too.
- In a large bowl, sift flours, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Stir in pistachios. Set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter until lightened in color.
- Add sugar and beat on medium-high until fluffy and lightened in color, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Add eggs and continue beating on high until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl.
- In 3 parts, starting and ending with the dry ingredients, add the flour mixture and buttermilk into the mixer on low speed until incorporated.
- Turn mixer on high for 10 seconds to achieve a smooth and glossy batter.
- Pour batter evenly between baking pans. Rap pans on the counter to level batter.
- Bake for 28 minutes or until cake doesn’t jiggle when shaken.
- Allow cake to cool on a wire rack before removing from pans.
- Make pistachio buttercream by beating butter until smooth and lightened in color in the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Add sifted powdered sugar and mix until combined.
- Increase speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add pistachios, cream, and vanilla extract and beat for an additional 2 minutes.
- Place 1 layer of cake on a serving tray and add a layer of frosting. Continue with 3 more layers of cake and frosting.
- Frost the rest of the cake with the remaining of frosting.
Made it? Tell us about it–