A simple and subtle tart from the talented Lori Stern that can be made vegan and gluten-free!
Get tons of inspiration here:
Text by Lacey Taylor and Photography by Brandon Harman
FOR LORI STERN, nature and art have always been intrinsically connected. The markers of her childhood in Ojai, California, are a big front yard, fruit trees, her family’s garden, and her very own tree house in which to sit and take them all in. Her first venture into the creative realm was through an easel her parents gave her as soon as she was able to reach the canvas. She would sit outside and paint for hours finding inspiration in, and often incorporating materials from, the natural beauty surrounding her. These days, you’re more likely to find Lori with her beloved chef’s knife in hand, whipping up a multicolored masterpiece with vegetables from a Southern Californian farmers market and exotic herbs from her own garden or scouring a Brooklyn flea market for materials to use in the upcycled crop tops she sews — her favorite creative outlet outside of the kitchen. But the bonds connecting Lori to the world around her are still very much present in her work. Just as important to her as the food she puts on the table is the impact her creations have on the earth and the communities to whom she’s serving. She prioritizes working with local farmers, using seasonal and organic ingredients, and implementing waste reduction and water conservation practices at every opportunity. She may no longer be surveying the world from her childhood tree house, but one look at the flower-covered cakes and vibrantly-hued meals she creates lays bare the fact that she is still taking it all in.
11⁄3 cups (323 grams) organic cane sugar
11⁄3 cups (202 grams) organic flour
¼ cup (14g) organic shelled pistachios
1½ tablespoon (150 grams)
11/2 sticks (20 grams) melted unsalted butter (cooled to room temp)
2 tablespoon rosewater
2 organic eggs
handful of chopped shelled pistachios
handful of organic dried rose petals
- Preheat oven to 375º. Spray a 9-inch round pie pan/dish with coconut oil and line with parchment paper. Spray the top side of the parchment with coconut oil as well.
- Combine the first 4 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Make a well in the center and add the last 3 ingredients. Mix with a wooden spoon or whisk until combined. Batter should be thick and deep green in color.
- Put all batter in your prepared pan and sprinkle with a handful of chopped, shelled pistachios.
- Bake in the oven until crust is golden green and pick comes out clean when poked—about 35 minutes.
- While tart is still hot, sprinkle with dried rose petals.
MAKE IT VEGAN:
Replace melted butter for 2/3 cups melted coconut oil. Replace 2 eggs for 2 flax eggs:
1. Combine 2 tablespoon ground flaxseeds with 5 tablespoon water
2. Stir well and then place in fridge to set for 15 minutes.
MAKE IT GLUTEN FREE:
Replace organic flour for 1 cup organic almond flour + . cup organic white rice flour.
Made it? Tell us about it–